BurdaStyle Heidi Dress, #6016. I first heard about BurdaStyle’s Heidi dress pattern from the A Dress A Day blog. Erin, A Dress A Day’s blogger, is absolutely obsessed with this pattern, and immediately I could see why. It’s a fantastic pattern! Look at the skirt seaming—those cute little waistline darts—the sort of keyhole scoop neckline! It really is lovely, and would look amazing in so many different fabrics: cotton for sundresses, light-weight wool for office wear, shantung or dupioni or satin for fancier occasions.
I really took my time on my Heidi #1. I wanted to be sure it was wearable, perfectly fitted, and would last. It took me months to finish this dress, for a variety of reasons, but mostly because I didn’t want to screw it up!
Likewise, when I came across Amy Butler’s Morning Glory fabric design, I also fell in love. It’s so pretty, and modern, and fun! When I finally decided to invest and order some yardage, I couldn’t find the color I originally wanted (can’t remember what it was now), so I settled on the second-best colorway, called linen. It reminds me of a blue sky studded with puffy cream clouds—as viewed from underneath a blossom-laden trellis perhaps. I just love that the blossoms are taupe with those pops of red and touches of mustard. The bodice is lined in a light-weight muslin for breathability, with the skirt lining in poly.
For the pattern, I shortened the bodice by about 1 inch to accommodate my short torso, and it turned out very well. I had to take up the shoulder seams substantially to get the fit right—like almost 2 inches, possibly a bit more, from the normal size 46 shoulder seam. For easier walking, I added a walking vent on the right side (opposite side from the zipper opening). That’s the only thing this pattern really lacks.
For my next version, I’ve raised the neckline by 1/2 inch for a little extra modesty. I’m well-endowed, and I don’t want to always have to wear a camisole or something to cover the girls. I’ve worn my #1 Heidi by now, and for my next versions I’m going to lower the waistline by 1/2 inch. I think I may have raised it a little too high for the first one, because I usually do have to. But the Heidi’s waistline is already situated a little above the natural waistline. So I overdid it. But whatever; it still works. Also, I’ve lowered the back neckline and trimmed down the shoulders by two sizes so I won’t have to take them up as much as I did in my #1.
I’ve already cut out Heidi #2! In a gorgeous mulberry colored, orchid-print Joel Dewberry fabric. Totally stolen from A Dress A Day’s very same Heidi using this fabric. But my mouth started watering the moment I saw the material made up with this pattern. And I had to have it!